Friday 2 March 2012

Funeral Songs.

My good friend John Clarke over at The Rector's Blog, posted a comment in response to my post about "Psycho Killer" yesterday: "want the Talking Heads song "Home: Naive Melody" plays just before my funeral starts." 


Which is cool all by itself, but what makes that even cooler is that John's the Rector at St. Paul's Anglican  Church in Charlottetown PEI, and when I was a kid he was the minister at my church in Bridgewater. He was a really positive role model for a awkward pre-teen growing up in a small town, and even though I haven't seen him in years I still site him as one of the adults that mentored me into being a decent human being.


I still love discovering what music we have in common, and I guess it never ceases to amuse me when you get to see someone as more than their occupation. Finding out your minister likes bands like The Clash, Talking Heads and M.I.A. is like finding out your math teacher is a demolition derby driver on the weekends. It kicks their awesome spectrum up a notch for sure. 

This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody) - Talking Heads

John's comment got me to thinking about funeral songs. Something I doubt very many people think about, especially 23 year old immortals like me. Ask any woman with an affinity for daydreaming and I can guarentee that she's probably already picked out the music for her wedding. I'll admit I've done it, how cool would it be to have a first dance to Brian Ferry's "Let's Stick Together", nothing says romance like boogying to a lyrical plea of sticking together for the sake of the children. Party. 

I think the songs you'll have played at your funeral are far more important in the grand scheme of things, I mean, you only get one shot at that playlist. Statistics show you're probably going to have a few weddings, chances are you're only going to die once.

Think about it, this is your last chance to show off your obscure music tastes, and unlike sharing a video or song on Facebook, your 'guests' have to listen to the music you picked. Have to. It's not negotiable. This is undoubtedly every music snob's wet dream.  Like throwing the ultimate party, you get to completely set the tone. My favourite example of this was in the film Love Actually: "Bye Bye Baby" by The Bay City Rollers. Brilliant. Absolutely Brilliant. Tongue in cheek all the way.

Maybe it's the maritimer in me but I think a funeral is a celebration of somebody's life, and shouldn't be all stiff and stuffy. Bring on the fiddles, I want to see drinking and eating, story sharing and laughter, and goddammit, there had better be little cucumber sandwiches at my reception or somebody's getting a poltergeist.

As far as what I would want played at my funeral I have no idea, but I know "This Must Be The Place" is a top contender (Yeah, I know that makes me a hack, funeral song thief. Guilty as charged.) I also know that I'm going to need to throw a hymn in there to make the old fogy's happy, so here:

Lord Of The Dance - Dubliners

This was my favourite hymn when I was a choir kid.What's not to like? Not only does this video give me serious beard envy, it's also catchy. It's a cheerful galloping little melody with a chorus you can pick up in no time, a rhythm you can clap/stomp to, AND you can swing around and around in a circle with somebody till one of you pukes. 

So essentially this hymn is the perfect drinking song, and therefor a perfect addition for my Dream Funeral. 




1 comment:

  1. Fiona;

    Thanks for your kind words. Be assured if I have any cool-cred at all it is because I can count you amongst my friends. You were a significant part of many of my most joyfully moments at Holy Trinity, Bridgewater. You are, as I told you on the Island of Iona, a deeply spiritual person.

    I remember one Sunday morning, as I preached on and on about God’s forgiveness, I eventually came to an end, turned to go to the altar to lead the congregation in the Creed and you, sitting in the choir stalls, at age 10 or 11 said to me as I walked by, “a loop-hole.” I thought two things. First, I was amazed that anyone was listening to me. Secondly, I wish I thought to sum it up so well. God gave us a loop-hole – God’s forgiveness.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete